PEA: New record in exports in 2016
Greek exports, excluding oil products, recorded a new record in 2016, confirming the estimates of the Panhellenic Exporters Association (PEA).
According to the provisional data of ELSTAT, the value of exports, excluding oil products, exceeded €18.5 billion. In particular, exports rose 1.2% to €18.59 billion, from €18.36 billion a year earlier.
The total value of exports fell 1.8% to €25.41 billion from €25.87 billion in 2015, mainly due to fluctuations in the international prices of oil. However, only in December 2016 total exports rose 3%.
At the same time, total imports increased 3.7% to €3.86 billion from €3.72 billion in December 2015. In 2016, imports rose 0.8% to €43.96 billion. The overall trade deficit widened 4.5% to €18.5 billion in 2016.